• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BU/GU Ratio

Stuntman

Apprentice
Reaction score
I've just recently discovered this little gem!  It could help explain some of the 'surprise' outcomes of some of my creations!  However, I have now created a couple beers that had ratios well over 1.0 according to BeerSmith!  I may be wrong, but 1.0 is supposed to be the highest that Ratio can go?  I also once had one that had some strange formatting errors..

Am I doing something wrong, or is that ratio maybe not working quite the way it was intended?

Thanks!!!!!!

No,
  The ratio is covered in Ray Daniel's book "Designing Great Beers" which I reviewed on the blog.  It can be over 1.0 - this is no problem.

Brad

Stuntman - That ratio is great for dialing in on your preferred tastes/bittering level in a style.  Below is a BU:GU ratio of 1.23 on my hoppiest APA to date.  The OG came in lower than estimated (1.059) due to cutting the mash short and sparging issues, so that increased the ratio from an estimated 1.06 to the 1.23.  It is also very helpful when trying to copy a printed recipe.  Just enter the exact recipe as printed to get the original BU:GU ratio, and then when you adjust for your parameters, process and ingredients, try to tweak the ratio towards the original.  And in theory, if you dumped 200 IBU into a 1.050 wort, the ratio would be 4.00.  Maybe not drinkable, but a 4.0 beer. 

Style: American Pale Ale
Recipe: 10A Amarillo APA v2 TYPE: All Grain
Recipe Specifications
-----------------------------------------------------------
Est SRM: 8.6 SRM SRM Range: 5.0-14.0 SRM
Est IBU: 63.4 IBU IBU Range: 30.0-50.0 IBU
Est OG: 1.051 SG OG Range: 1.045-1.060 SG
Est BU:GU: 1.231
Estimated FG: 1.012 SG FG Range: 1.010-1.015 SG
Estimated ABV:  5.09 % Calories: 229 cal/pint
EE %: 64.00 % Batch: 3.65 gal    Boil: 4.25 gal BT: 70 Minutes

Back