• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brewing with Pecans

CraigH

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have made a nut brown ale a few times and I always roast some flaked oats and include them in the mash.  Works well and the beer is tasty.  Thought I?d try using some roasted pecans in the next batch.  I?ve been researching pecan techniques a bit.  Seems like some folks crush them and roast them in the oven before putting them in the mash and others put them in the secondary.  I?m leaning toward the mash for numerous reasons.  I would love to here some ideas/ experiences before I pull the trigger.  Let me know how you did it and how it turned out.

I brewed a toasted pecan brown ale that turned out great. Very nutty and coffee like flavor. Loved it.
I used almost 2 lbs of pecan pieces that I crushed in the bags with a rubber mallet. Spread them on a cookie sheet and toasted at 350 for 15 minutes.  Added to mash. This was a BIAB brew.

I made a pecan porter. Took 12oz or so of pecans, crushed and toasted and vacuum sealed with paper towel to absorb the oils.Did this a few times to have minimal oil.  Tasted great!!!

Talked to a few brewery reps - one brewery uses pecans and shells all in the mash. Another just uses extract - too much of a process for a commercial operation...  Extract amounts can be tested, in a pint first. then in a full batch.]

Enjoy.

Today, I'm kegging my Bourbon Pecan Pie Robust Porter. 

I broke into smaller bits 1 LB pecan pieces and soaked then in a 1qt mason jar filled with evan williams bourbon and 1 vanilla bean  Before that, I roasted the pecans around 200f for a couple hours.  After 10 days, in the mason jar, I strained the pecans for an hour then hand fed them into the carboy where they have been for 5 days at 55f.  I may add a cup or so of maple syrup to the keg. Still on the fence.

Anxious and excited to see how the beer comes out.  Will update in a few days after it is carbonated.

Back