• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Closest style to American Strong Ale

dude

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm about to brew a clone of the Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale.

On RateBeer and BeerAdvocate, the style is said to be American Strong Ale.

As this is not available in BeerSmith, could someone tell me what would be the closest option?

Thanks

American Strong Ale is BJCP 2015 style 22B, which shows up in my BeerSmith style list. There are two steps needed to display these styles, since the current version of BeerSmith did not have this version built in. Go to Add-ons and see if BJCP 2015 Style Guide is installed. If not, click Add and select it from the list of available add-ons, then click Install Add-On. Once it is installed, go to Options->Brewing and choose BJCP 2015 (or All Style Guides) from the dropdown for Display Style Guide. After that you should be able to see American Strong Ale.

--GF

keep in mind you can create your own style guidelines too. Nothing exists for 1800's English styles and current guidelines have nothing close to an English mild from that era so I did some research on my own and after collecting enough data I made my own Victorian Era X Ale Guidelines and input them into Beersmith.

Kevin58 said:
keep in mind you can create your own style guidelines too. Nothing exists for 1800's English styles and current guidelines have nothing close to an English mild from that era so I did some research on my own and after collecting enough data I made my own Victorian Era X Ale Guidelines and input them into Beersmith.

So you were the guy that did that :).  Well I have to say I have tons of 1800's recipes sort of my style to make English beers.

Back