• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Another 2-Row vs Pale Malt Question

TestTickle

Apprentice
Reaction score
Total newbie here, but just when I thought I knew the answer, I started using BeerSmith.

I have seen recipes that call for "Pale Malt (2-row)" but with different SRM's. I see 2-rows such as Briess Brewer's Malt or Rahr 2-row that are 1.7L or 1.8L, but then I see others with higher SRM's in the 3-4L range that are pale ale malts. I have read until I am cross-eyed and for the most part, it seems that pale malt and 2-row are the same, but pale ale malt is more highly kilned, richer in flavor, yada yada yada.

So here is my confusion. Regarding recipes calling for pale malts, should I be going by the SRM of those malts rather than the description of the malt? For example, if a recipe says "Pale Malt (2-row) (3.0 SRM), should I focus on getting a 3.0L malt (which from my research, is actually a Pale Ale malt?)?

My head hurts. I see Dingeman's Pale Ale Malt on one brew website, and on another website, I see Dingeman's Pale malt...same specs.

If someone could kindly dumb it down for me in a simple spreadsheet with a flow chart and lots of pictures, arrows and stick figures with smiley faces, that would be great. OK, just a simple and clear explanation would work.

Yeah get what the recipe calls for if it means 2 row normally it says 2 row if it means pale it says pale.

The only real difference is color.

Pale malt, or Pale Ale malt are darker than plain 2-row as a rule. The color may vary from maltster to maltster.

Each malt supplier has their own designation on how they label the malts.  Generally, any malts with a color of under 2.6 Lovibond are pale malts, 2-row, brewer's malt, etc.  The grains in this color range are malted to start the growth process and then dried to halt the enzymatic breakdown of the carbohydrates into sugars.  These malts have a more delicate flavor of dry cracker up to very light biscuit notes. 

Pale Ale malts tend to range in color from 2.8 up to 4 Lovibond in color.  Here there is some higher kilning of the malted grains leading to very light melanoidin flavors of light toast, bread, crackers.  Much more substantial flavor contribution to the beer than the 2-row.

Unfortunately, since there are no real rules on naming these malts, there can be quite a bit of confusion between different malting houses.  If you match the color of the malt as close as you can, then you should be fine.  Using one for the other is also not so much a big deal in some recipes with stronger flavors, such as roasted malts (pale chocolate, chocolate or black malt), toasted malts (such as biscuit or victory) or crystal/caramel malts.

Oginme said:
Using one for the other is also not so much a big deal in some recipes with stronger flavors

YES. RDWHAHB (Relax, don't worry , have a home brew). It's not that big a difference, and there are many other things that are much more important to the final outcome of your beer. If you have everything in your process under complete control and you are brewing a recipe that you have brewed many times before, then you might be able to detect the difference. Otherwise, I  wouldn't worry about it too much, and definitely don't fret so much you get a headache.

--GF

Oginme said:
Generally, any malts with a color of under 2.6 Lovibond are pale malts

This is what I thought, just couldn't find a clear answer anywhere.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

Back