• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Help with efficiency in BS

askanes

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I think I may have a setting wrong in BS and could use some advice.  With my BH efficiency set I'm getting almost perfectly (usually within a point of 2) on my estimated pre boil gravity.  However, my post boil gravity has been consistently about 10 points higher than what was predicted.  Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

It would be helpful to get some more data on your typical brew.  Specifically, for a given recipe what is your pre-boil volume and post boil volume and associated gravity readings?  How are you taking your gravity measurements?  Volume measurements?

Since you are hitting your pre-boil gravity with your given BH efficiency, I am guessing that the calculated mash efficiency is OK or close.  It probably comes down to boil off rate, so accurate measurements of volume would be needed to get a handle on how much you are losing to the boil. 

As has been suggested before; make sure your equipment and mash profiles are specific to your system. If you simply accepted one of the default equipment profiles without actually measuring things like your boil off rate then you are not going to get results that match what the software predicted.

seconding/thirding what has already been posted before me

all the best,

R

Back