• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

India Pale Lager?

Maine Homebrewer

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Winter is coming and heating oil is expensive, as a result my home is too chilly for using ale yeast.
My last batch of the season is an IPA, except that I chose to use lager yeast because the thermostat is set for 65, and the basement is holding steady at 55.

I've never used lager yeast before, mainly because of the whole lagering thing.

I've already started the batch.  The recipe is typical for me - seat of the pants based upon available ingredients and whim.

9# pale, 1.5# light Munich, .5# special B, 1oz Challenger for 90, 1oz Challenger for 60, 1oz K.G. for 10 with a S.G of 1.051.

I'm relaxed, without worry and with homebrew, however I'd like to know if anyone has tried this before and if there is anything I should know.

Prost,
John

I have a Schwarzbier that ended up a little high in IBU (39 ibu). Brew it UP!

Cheers
Preston

Preston,
Thanks.  I'm not sure what I'm worried about, perhaps just the venture into the unknown. 
My fermometer reads 60 in the 55 degree basement and the brew is burping nicely.  It'd be totally dead if it was ale yeast at that temp.
I think my next experiment will involve some cider, lager yeast, extract, acid blend, and a lot more patience than I gave to my last batch of cider.
Living in apple country I've got no good excuse not to try.
-John

Back