• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Anyone know what wine grape this is?

Ck27

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
So I wanted to get some input from someone while I save up to get my vine DNA tested by UC Davis, I don't know what this grape is but the story that I know is accurate Is that it was planted some time from 1880-1900 in northern California on family property in Sonora california. A clipping was taken in the late 60's and ended up on my property. Where it has grown for over 40 years. Nobody in the family remembers what it is not even the daughter of the gentleman who planted it. My great grandmother who is 99.

I am wondering if anyone knows what grape this is here's a picture. I'm just digging around while I wait to get enough to have Davis test it for me.

Characteristics of it are dark berries, with a thick skin, sour sweet flavor and large concentrations of seeds. The vine tends to prefer to grow low along the ground as a bush instead of a traditional vine. The grapes produce a lot of clusters each year. Probsbly easy enough for 2.5-5 gallons so heavy producers and are extremely drought tolerant.

They grow well in Sandy soil.

Personally my best guess is Cabernet franc or Cinsault.

Attachments

• 2870.jpeg
    2870.jpeg
    920.2 KB · Views: 646
Back