• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water question about Carbonate

S

skipstr21

I seen multiple references to increasing the carbonate level for darker beers. The Beersmith software does not have a setting for Carbonate (CO3). There is a profile for HCO3 and the ability to adjust the NaHCO3 (Baking Soda) and CaCO3 (Chalk). My local water profile has a value for CO3 and HCO3. How do I calculate fro CO3 using the Brewsmith Software?

To much to reference in this post, here is a good reference for reading water reports
http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter15-1.html
Cheers
Preston

I know this is an old post. But I would like to ask if bottling the beer while flat, in this case and carbonating to desired level on-the-fly at consumption time would be viable option. The FizzGiz (yes there's a website) makes doing so quite simple * easy. And why is the Subject entitled Water question... ?

Hi Mike, and welcome to the forum.

The carbonate referenced in the post refers to the amount of carbonates (HCO3) in the base water prior to brewing. This can have an effect on the style of beer being brewed or if you are modifying the water to fit a specific regions water profile.

I have heard of people using carbonation tabs and even a direct injection of carbonation into the solution. IMO I don't think it will have the same effect as natural carbonation.

Cheers
Preston

Back