• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Proposed Recipe Comments

Zmonster

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm doing this a bit backwards, I know... but I'd like to get some thoughts on the recipe I'm about to brew.

I've ordered the grain and hops, I have the yeast, I have the water (long story there), but if I'm really off base, it's not too late to add grain if needed.

My goal is a very simple Belgian Saison.  Without getting too much into the details, I'm brewing this as a "100th Anniversary Remembrance WWI Brew".

According to BeerSmith, I will hit all the stylebook profiles, although I could be a bit more dark and have a bit more hops. 

For the history majors out there:

Yeast is White Labs P565 Belgian Saison
Water is from a WWI battle site in France
the Grain Bill consists of 64%  Pale Malt (UK) and 36% Vienna Malt (Austria).
I plan on adding Maple Syrup to get to the starting gravity (USA).  It's only about 12 ounces, so I don't expect it to add to the flavor profile).  Playing in BeerSmith, I won't hit an acceptable OG without it.
1 ounce of Hallertau Blanc (Germany) should get me to 22.5 IBUs.  Convince me I need more.

One question:  I'm getting a "red dot" next to Bottle Carb Level 2.3 volumes.  This is with adding corn sugar to the bottling.  Any thoughts on how I can make that red dot blue?  I'm also a little worried the estimated Wort pH is high, but I think I can control that once I measure it.

How far off base am I?

Zmonster said:
One question:  I'm getting a "red dot" next to Bottle Carb Level 2.3 volumes.  This is with adding corn sugar to the bottling.  Any thoughts on how I can make that red dot blue?  I'm also a little worried the estimated Wort pH is high, but I think I can control that once I measure it.

I will leave the question on the Saison style to those who brew them.  With regard to your carbonation red dot, that doe means that your level of carbonation is not within style guidelines.  When I check the latest BJCP guidelines for saison, it calls for carbonation levels of 2.8 - 3.5 volumes of CO2.  So if you change the target carbonation level in the box to something with in that range, the dot will turn blue.

Thank you.  Easy with a keg.  How do I do it in the bottles?  More sugar?

On your design page where the carbonation profile is located, right next to that is the level of carbonation that you want.  I've attached a pic with the setting circled in red.  This is a user controlled setting which you can change depending upon the level of carbonation you want.  BeerSmith will calculate the amount of sugar needed to carbonate the batch based upon your volume to the fermenter, the amount of trub in the fermenter, and the volumes of CO2 you set in this box.

Attachments

• carb level.JPG
    carb level.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 423
Any field in white or yellow shading are for user input.  If the field is grayed out, then it is a calculated or estimated field filled by the software.

Using English pale and Vienna malts are non-traditional for a Saison but don't get too hung up on it; as long as it's good! Generally Euro pils malt is all you need and perhaps some sugar and/or honey to help dry it out.

For hops, any Saazer type hops will work. You can go to the higher end of the IBU range to hide some of the biscuit/toast characteristics of the English/Vienna malts.

Ferment in mid 60's and allow it to free rise for ester and phenol development. I've fermented as high as 90's in my garage.

Cheers,

Mark

Edit:  after re-reading this post, it came to mind that your recipe closer resembles a Belgian pale ale.

Back