• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brewing Problems

M

marcuri

I had a batch of nut brown ale start to explode in their bottles.  I thought that it was only a few but when I opened every one was way over carbonated.  I followed the recipe exactly.  What happened? Any insight to why this occured with help tremendously.

My first thought would be that you maybe didn't hit terminal gravity before you bottled.  So with a combination of your beer not being finished with its fermentation along with it getting primed there was too much CO2 released in the bottle and KABOOM! 

Yikes, I've brewed about 10 batches in my short brewing career and haven't yet had that particular, um, "excitement."

I'm counting my blessings...

ml2brew said:
My first thought would be that you maybe didn't hit terminal gravity before you bottled.  So with a combination of your beer not being finished with its fermentation along with it getting primed there was too much CO2 released in the bottle and KABOOM! 
Agreed. SG and FG are very important when bottling. If you did not let it finish before you bottled it, you had to many fermentables in the beer. I wrote a short blog about it here. http://www.uselessbrewing.com/?p=38
If by chance you did hit your FG and you still have bottle bombs, The culprit is probably you did not mix the Bottling sugars into the beer enough. Take caution when opening the beers and wear protective gear (Gloves, Glasses, and long sleeve shirt)
If you post your recipe and what your expected OG and FG were we could possibly help more. But from what it sounds like, you missed your FG and bottled to soon.
Cheers
Preston

Back