• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

No Sparge Mash Profile

Toy4Rick

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hey all,

Lately I have been doing no sparge brewing, it's easy, fast and I don't see any down side.  I was wondering what is the best way to setup the mash profile?

I have been using the Single Infusion Batch Sparge profile but would rather have my water volume in one number

Is a BIAB profile better or what is suggested as a better alternative?

Also noticed that BIAB says 8.02 gals on a specific recipe where SIBS says 8.6, why the difference
6/15 update:  The difference appears to be in the Grain absorption, BIAB has .92 gal, SIBS says 1.5 gal.  What am I missing?
6/15 update #2: Found in the Tools/Options/Advanced there is a BIAB grain absorption option along with a Grain absorption option.  Once I set them to the same value, my water volumes are now the same. Not sure why BIAB absorption would calculate out differently, but hey, what do I know.
So to answer my own question, it appears BIAB mash profile should work just fine :)

Thanks in advance
Rick

You already figured out the issue with the water demand, but to provide a bit of information on the 'why': 

BIAB is not limited in drainage and tends to allow more of the water to drain freely from the grains.  Further, lifting the bag will compress the grains which reduces the amount of water trapped between the bits of grain but also within the grains as the pressure forces the water out.  It also takes into account that many BIABers squeeze the bag to get as much of the wort out as possible.

Since you already know the grain absorption for your process, your adjustment of the original grain absorption rate for BIAB to account for your system is very appropriate.  In my system, I use a bag even in my mash tun, so I adjusted the standard absorption to match my values for what I calculated for full volume BIAB mashing.

Back