• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith for iPhone?

W

wrz0170

Just to throw it out there;  iPhones use is skyrocketing. The buying of Apps from the App store is on a simliar trend.  Any chance to see a Beersmith App. for the iPhone? 

Again, just to throw something out there.  Instead of dragging a laptop, you can have your iPhone to jot down notes / monitor or use as your electronic brewsheet.

wrz0170 said:
Just to throw it out there;  iPhones use is skyrocketing. The buying of Apps from the App store is on a simliar trend.  Any chance to see a Beersmith App. for the iPhone? 

Again, just to throw something out there.  Instead of dragging a laptop, you can have your iPhone to jot down notes / monitor or use as your electronic brewsheet.

I agree, it would be so convenient to have this on the phone while cooking.

I would NOT buy for my iphone... to much liquid around. I am on my fourth phone because of various liquid issues. All it takes is a single drop of liquid to get in the headphone port and your warranty is gone.

Another option would be to petition existing iPhone developers to support the BeerXML format.

wine-doors gives you a window that shows you a bunch of windows software you can install. This is how I got IE installed. That made BeerSmith work much better.
cisco certification
-------------------------
<a href="http://www.certkiller.com/certification-training-Cisco.htm">cisco certification</a>
---
<a href="http://www.certkiller.com/exam-1z0-007.htm">1z0-007 latest dumps</a>
----
<a href="http://www.certkiller.com/Avaya-Certification-certification-training.htm">avaya certification</a>

Well,
  I have an iPhone now and also the Mac to develop for it, so this is a possibility once BeerSmith 2.0 is complete.

Brad

BeerSmith said:
Well,
  I have an iPhone now and also the Mac to develop for it, so this is a possibility once BeerSmith 2.0 is complete.

Brad

Excellent news Brad, very eagerly awaiting 2.0 and the iPhone version.
Now now now! :)

I think this would work well with the timer someone else suggested.  If I could whip out my iPod and start the timer and have it ring for each hop addition (and display that addition on screen) it would be pretty sweet!

If you are going to do it for iPhone, make sure you supersize it for iPad too!

wambesi said:
Excellent news Brad, very eagerly awaiting 2.0 and the iPhone version.
Now now now! :)

Actually my vote has changed now, how about an Android version? :)

I like to idea of supporting the software on the iPhone - BUT it would need a way to sync the data between iphone and PC - preferably via WIFI -
without a way to quickly sync to the PC, the iPhone app would have little value to me.

BeerSmith is great for designing, brewing, and fermenting beer. The iDevices, I love them but they are less suitable for that purpose.

However, the iPad for instance would be a great brew controller. Anybody want to write the code / provide hardware specs to do that interaction? Think: http://www.brew-magic.com/bm_v350.html with wifi etc.

Beersmith on Mac: +1.

I use BeerSmith on my PC to design and track my beers, and Brew Pal on my iPhone as a portable reference.
Brew Pal has a nice boil timer with alarms at each hop addition, but it doesn't run while the phone sleeps.
A 90 minute boil is a real battery killer.
If you do make an iPhone app, could you design a timer that will run with the phone in sleep mode?
Kind of like the built in timer and alarm clock.

The most useful app for me would be to link an iphone app to beersmith to download recipes for when I make a trip to the supply store. 

dpaletta said:
The most useful app for me would be to link an iphone app to beersmith to download recipes for when I make a trip to the supply store. 

I agree to that. Though I'm not an iphone user, I am a android user and a very heavy google/gmail/gdoc/etc user. I find myself using the html output then syncing to my gdocs site. At the LHBS I pull that up to create my grain profile. I've been trying to find a way to use the XML output. I'm about ready to contract out one of my programmer friends to create a quick program which can handle this in a small app, but it would be nice if there was a beersmith portable ver which would allow the beerxml to be shown on your phone.

BeerAlchemy syncs well from Mac to iPhone.  I really liked that feature ESPECIALLY developing a recipe and hitting your inventory with it to include functionality when at the LHBS buying supplies.  It's limitations were lack of multiple, personalized water profiles and it locked the recipe once brewed, which was frustrating.

I am excited you are developing for Mac (I currently use BeerTools, but am really interested in your software) and hope you make it to iPad/iPhone soon...

I know it's already been said but I want to throw a little more support for iphone/ipad versions.  I LOVE the idea of thinking/formulating recipes on my desktop, picking up supplies with my iphone, and then using my ipad to help guide me through brew day.

Back