• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water profile vs Bru'n Water

pintabone

New Forum Member
Reaction score
When trying to adjust the water profile in Beersmith 3, I'm getting significantly different lactic acid additions between BS3 and Bru'n Water. BS3 is suggesting 10ml to achieve a mash pH of 5.3 while Bru'n Water is suggest about 4ml. The chloride and sulfate additions are reasonably close so it appears that everything else is consistent except the acid addition.

Anyone encounter this yet or is there something that I may just clearly be missing?

Yes, BeerSmith recommends much more acid than BrunWater. That was true in BS2 and continues in BS3. Here is a post where Brad lists the reference he used to come up with his numbers. Personally, I have found BrunWater to be very close, and using the BeerSmith recommended amounts would be way too much for me.

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,16709.0/topicseen.html

--GF

Also, as I stated in another post, BS adds baking soda in most all of the water profiles. I delete it out and find that the acid additions are pretty reasonable. I see no reason to use baking soda and acid.

The reason to use baking soda in addition to acid is if you want to increase the sodium content without adding chloride. My water starts with a pH of 9.3-9.6, so I certainly don't need anything to push it higher, and often need acid to make it lower. Baking soda is not something I use very often, but my water is also low on sodium so there are times when I add some for that purpose.

--GF

Back