• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BS3 - Confused by results of 2 stage starter

Off2Race

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi, Brad. I'm trying to use the new Starter tab features in BS3 and I'm confused by the results. I've included a screenshot that shows what I'm getting.

? BS calculates that I need 392.1 Billion yeast cells
? It then indicates that I can achieve this with a Two-Stage Starter: Recommended First Starter = 1.01L. Recommended Second Starter = 1.24L
? Following the recommendation, I set "Starter Sized Used" to 1.01L, click the "Use Two Stage Yeast Starter" box and set "Second Starter Addition" to 1.24L
? BS tells me that the Yeast Cells after Second Starter will be 335.9 Billion cells

What I'm confused by is the final result. BS says that I need 392.1 B cells but if I set the starter sizes based on its recommendation, it seems like I'll end up short by 57 Billion cells. I can adjust the volumes of the starters manually to get to the proper level but I'm confused why the BS recommendation doesn't already do that.

I don't understand this either.  I have the same thing happening when I use this the Starter tab in a recipe.

Back