Author Topic: Acid Addition BS3 vs Brun Water 4.2  (Read 2461 times)

Offline Briandead

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • Beer is the answer
Acid Addition BS3 vs Brun Water 4.2
« on: July 08, 2018, 04:58:57 AM »
I've always used Brun Water to set my water profiles but thought I'd try using BS3 since the water profiling has been revamped. Typically I'm seeing that BS3 is recommending around 2.5 times the amount of acid than Brun Water for the same mash and water profile.

Interestingly they both produce the same(ish) figures for mash ph, RA etc without acid additions. It just seems that BS3 doesn't seem to calculate the acid additions right.

Offline BOB357

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Beer is my bucket list!
Re: Acid Addition BS3 vs Brun Water 4.2
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 08:51:59 PM »
In BS3 I've found that many of the water profiles include baking soda. While there are some uses for baking soda, I see no need for it in most pale ale recipes, so delete it from salt additions. This lowers the pH and thus the recommended acid additions to bring pH to the desired level.
Bob

Offline GigaFemto

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Muonic Matter Rocks!
Re: Acid Addition BS3 vs Brun Water 4.2
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 09:18:54 AM »
I just got the latest version of Bru'n Water, v5.5, which has improved pH prediction. This moves the amount of recommended acid closer to that of BeerSmith. My recent experience has been that Bru'n Water underestimated the amount and BeerSmith overestimated the amount, so I was splitting the difference between the two. Now the difference is smaller and I will try the new Bru'n Water recommendation on my next brew.

--GF

modification