• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mixed units not consistent?

jpduggan

New Forum Member
Reaction score
(can't find this topic for BeerSmith 3, please direct if already covered)

I use a mix Imperial and Metric units. I set units in Tools/Units, favouring weights in lbs/oz and volumes in L/mL. I can enter my brew data in those units fine. Later, while using reports and other features the weights are fine but volumes show in gal/qt. Any tips?

James
ps. a nitpick...SI symbol for litres is a capital L.

When you go to 'options' > 'units', there are two settings for volume.  Batch volume is on the top but partway down the list is a setting for 'mash volume'.  Make sure this is set to liters as well.

BTW, as long as you are halfway towards metric, why don't you set the weights to metric as well?  It really makes things much easier to deal with. Although, I do have to admit that I favor Fahrenheit over Celsius as being a bit more accurate without having to resort to reading tenths on the thermometer.

Yes that was it. Thanks.

So after 40 years of the metric system here in Canada we still show weights at the grocery store in kg and lbs. I just feel more comfortable with my mix of units. Like many others I get ideas from both UK and US sources and because the gallon's are not the same I prefer litres. Temperature in C is easier too because by definition 100 is boil (and zero is freeze). I really appreciate being able to mix units in BeerSmith.

Thanks again and looking forward to the linux version in a few weeks. On another topic, if I have dual boot in Windows and Ubuntu, can I install on each under the same personal use license? It's the same physical computer.

James

Back