• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith Data Missing

toddbarrett

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm getting a BeerSmith Data Missing error on my BeerSmith 3.0 upgrade. I've been using 3.0 for a few weeks now, but got this error message this morning. I did a search on your website but don't see a similar issue. I've attached a screen shot of the error box here. Thank you, Todd B.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 11.48.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 11.48.34 AM.png
    74.5 KB · Views: 407
The most likely cause of this is somehow having moved or removed your Documents/BeerSmith3 directory.
This could happen if you changed your user account/login settings, moved Document drives, renamed or moved
the directory itself.  Its also possible that backup software such as OneDrive or iCloud moved or archived the data
automatically.

BeerSmith won't move or delete the data so something else moved it.

You have a few options:
  1) BeerSmith does make automatic backups so you can click on "Check a different directory" and point it to Documents/BeerSmith3 and BeerSmith may be able to recover from those backups files internally stored elsewhere.
  2) You can try to find your data - which was probably moved somewhere by one of your backup programs (or see above).  If you find it you can restore it to the location listed and run BeerSmith and it will pick up the data and continue.

Brad

Thanks for the help Brad. I'm still a little unclear as to what the program is looking for. Below is a screen shot of my BeerSmith 3 directory. Do you see anything that is missing from this list?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 9.03.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 9.03.54 AM.png
    150.5 KB · Views: 429
It is looking for the file Recipe.bsmx which appears to be in place.  Is it possible that you recently installed an antivirus program like bitdefender?  We've had issues where the antivirus program will actually block BeerSmith from reading/writing to Documents/BeerSmith3 unless you white list it in the antivirus program.

Brad

No, I don't have an antivirus program (I'm on a Mac). I did buy a program called "MacFly Pro" (system cleaning software) but I've used BeerSmith several times after I ran that program.

I was getting the same error message. Also running the software on a Mac, also hadn't moved any directories or installed any new antivirus software. I had the Recipe.BSMX file in the correct directory, but for some reason it had been archived to my iCloud account. There was a small cloud icon next to the file name. After downloading the file by clicking on the cloud icon, beer smith opened as usual and all my files were in the right place. Try that?

mjmoon15, thanks for the help! I wound up deleting all the whole directory and starting over. I then replaced the .BSMX recipe file with the last one I had backed up. So I lost just a few things I did between the last back up and when it crashed, but it least it is now running. Thanks for the instructions on the iCloud archive. I have copied your instructions down and will try that method if I run into this problem again.

Got the same Data is Missing message myself yesterday, but recipe file is there.  Fingers crossed I can fix it with the suggestions here!

Back