• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerXML Encoding

M

MyloFiore

Brad -

Is there any reason that you chose "ISO-8859-1" as the encoding type for BeerXML? I am writing a little Pocket PC app to display my BeerSmith recipes that have been exported to XML format. I can manually update the XML file and change the encoding to "UTF-8" with no perceived issues. I'd like to avoid the manual step if necessary. Compact .NET does not support ISO-8859-1 format.

Mylo

Mylo,
  I don't have a good reason - one of the early contributors suggested that line.  Frankly, there is nothing inherent in the BeerXML file itself - so I think importing as UTF-8 would work just fine.

Brad

Well, I think I answered my own question. I exported a larger set of recipes tonight - and changed the encoding line to utf-8. I tried to load the file up in IE, and it blew up on any accented character (usually in the "examples" section). I guess I will have to work up some sort of conversion utility - unless you can think of anything.

Mylo

Back