• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Extract preboil gravity

H

hhaynes

I have only brewed All-Grain( 10 Batches)and wanted to try an Extract brew. A simple American Wheat.
7lb Wheat Extract
.75 Williamette 60min
.40 Williamette 5min
wlp-320
I entered all of the info in BeerSmith I got a preboil gravity of 1.041.  After I changed some of my equipment measurements like loss to trub(+.5), Lauter Tun Deadspace(+.4) and Boil off (14%)the preboil gravity did not change. Am I missing something. My Water needed increased from 6.18gal to 6.76gal. Why wouldn't the preboil gravity decrease with more water?
Thanks for any comments.

LOL - I guess it's a good question.  Wish I could help.

The real QUESTION is - if you are an AG brewer why go with a 100% extract brew.  I've done 15 mini mash batches and have never done a 100% extract with no specialty or base grains.

Just curious.

Hi,
  Your "brewhouse efficiency" is a measure of all of your equipment losses including boil, trub, deadspace, etc:
  http://www.beersmith.com/blog/2008/10/26/brewhouse-efficiency-for-all-grain-beer-brewing/

If you want all of the above not included, you would use mash efficiency and then factor in all of the losses from that point forward.

Cheers,
Brad

Back