• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Carbonating Question/Issue

rbraunberger

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have a corny keg hooked up to a CO2 tank that I have been using to try and carbonate my beer with.  So far I have ended up with beer that has hardly any carbonation.  On my last batch I let the beer age in the keg for 2 months with the CO2 level set at 20psi.  I would also shake the keg to get the CO2 to dissolve better.  I bottled the other day and the carbonation level was still low.  Any ideas about what I'm doing wrong???!!!  Thanks!!!

Hi,
  Do you have the keg in the fridge?

Also the length of your beer line coming out of the keg can make a big difference - if it is very long you will lose all of the carbonation in the line before it gets to the tap.  Mine is around 4 feet long I believe.

Cheers,
Brad

Ya, I kept the CO2 tank and the keg in the frig.  And I used a beergun to bottle the beer, so I never really pulled a glass out of the keg.  I am just noticing that the beer has a really low carbonation for how much pressure I had it under.

OK,
  Bottling directly from a keg can be a dicey business.  It is not uncommon to lose pressure when bottling, and again it all depends on your setup and bottling technique.  It took me quite a few tries to get my keg and counter pressure bottle system dialed in so I could bottle correctly from the keg.

Brad

Any tips then?  I have the Blichmann BeerGun and accessory kit to go with it.  I purge the bottles with CO2 prior, and fill the bottles the way the user manual says.  I tilt the bottles, and fill to the top of the bottle, pull the gun out and cap right away.  I have the CO2 level going into the keg at about 15psi to help with getting to much foam and barely pull the trigger on the gun to help with foaming as well.

It Tastes REALLY good, I would just like it to have more carbonation.

Back