• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

question about water profile ppm calculation

Eudmin

Apprentice
Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong with this calculation.  I had previously done it manually, but recently started trying out your software. 

I used the Water Profile tool and just did a sanity check to see if your results correspond to my hand-done results.

I put 1 gm of Gypsum into 1 gallon of water.

Usually ppm is defined as (grams of solute / grams of solution) * 10^6 so I did dimensional analysis to get:

Code:
1g CaSO4      1gal water               1 liter water
----------    *  ------------------ * ----------------- * 10^6 = 264 ppm CaSO4
1gal water     3.79 liters water     1000 g water

Ca weighs 40g/mol and SO4 weighs 96g/mol so the ppm of Ca is 40/136*264 = 78ppm Ca and the ppm of SO4 is 96/136*264 = 186ppm SO4.

When I use your tool I get  62ppm Ca and 148ppm SO4. 

What am I doing wrong?

Actually, table salt and chalk work out right, baking soda is close.  The two numbers add up to 264, as they should.  1gm/gallon of anything = 1000mg/3.79liters = 264 ppm

If your salts split up in solution then the ratios of the two components will scale with their weights, but the sum should come out to 264ppm for 1 gram in 1 gallon of water.

I have been playing around with the water profile because my water supply is rainwater into tanks which is quite soft and benign.  However with the profiler I can't seem to figure out how many gr/L of various minerals I should be adding to match the water of a designated area.  What am I missing.

Back