• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

refractometer with beersmith help

S

seanhagerty

I am having difficulty using all the information available to me from different sources determining how to use my atc refractomter.

If I use the spreadsheet from B3 and calculate, I get one reading.  If I input the same numbers into my beersmith I get different readings. 

Any one know how to use a refractometer with beersmith?  Try to make it the Refractometer for dummies explanation so I can understand it.

Sean

Hi,
  In most cases this type of problem can be traced back to calibration.  If you go through the calibration process you will get accurate refractometer results.  Click on the "Calibrate Refractometer Settings" within the refractometer tool and follow the instructions there.

Cheers,
Brad

Calibration is critical.  Easy to do with distilled water to get the zero set.  I then made up some sugar water at one pound per one gallon ratio (1 oz sugar to one cup water) for the high end, which should read exactly 1.046 SG, or 11.43 Brix. 

My "ATC" refractometer still reads more clearly (or gives a more distinct line) when I chill the sample down first, and give it 20 seconds to set on the device before reading. 

Back