• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Conversion from Ex to MM to AG

G

Grinder12000

How does Beersmith convert from All Grain to Mini Mash and so forth.

Is it a best guess?  or is it actually the best results??

I've gotton some odd conversions when testing this.

Hi,
  In general it works pretty well.  The largest problem is usually with very light beers as most extracts are much darker than the lightest malt grains.  This sometimes creates odd results when the computers try to match colors.  This is an area I continue to work on and try to improve with each update.

VR
Brad

thanks - may I ask "how" if does it??  I don't need a technical thing but in layman's terms.  It's a way for me to understand the entire process.

I'm more interested in AG to Mini Mash - is there a secret formula?  I was doing it by hand just by converting some some base grains to an extract. 

Well,
  It starts by converting some of the base malt to extract, then converts the mashable other items.  Next it attempts to balance the OG, color and IBUs to match the original recipe as close as possible.

Cheers,
Brad

I suppose my question is if there is a limit to how many pounds of grain I can handle. 

for instance - I would like to have as much grain as I can get up to 4.5 pounds in a mini mash and I would like DME instead of LME. 

Anyway to tailor exactly how I want it or am I asking the impossible.

BTW - like most software like this, be it poker, baseball or beer I have to presume it's a labor of love - great job.

Back