• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Profiles -- paralysis becasue of analysis

mr_beer

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
Looking at the BeerSmith Mash Profiles I am confused.  Maybe you folks can help a little.

BTW, my level of knowledge/competence is just at the start of a Partial Mash capability.

For the Single Infusion process there are Light, Medium and Full Bodied profiles that differ by the starting temperature.  Within those profiles groups there are three methods outlined.  Looking at one of the profile groups…

Single Infusion, Full Body profile there is a Mash Out process outlined.  Does the Mash Out process imply that the tun has been drained prior to the Mash Out step?  Is the Mash Out step considered the same as a sparge step,  i.e. is it like a ‘single rinse’ sparge with higher temperature water with a shorter holding period?

In the next profile is a “Batch Sparge”.  Does that mean is ‘filled’ to the capacity outlined with water and allowed to drain immediately without a holding period?  As delivered the profile does not call for the tun to be drained prior to starting the sparge activity.  Is this correct?

The next profile is “No Mash Out”.  The amount of water used is not specified.  What is the practical difference between the “Batch Sparge” profile and the “No Mash Out” profile?  How does it affect the resulting wort/beer?

I am probably over thinking this process but my inexperience obviously shows.  Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,
  I generally use the "No mash out" which seems to work fine.  Mash out basically raises the temperature of the mash at the end to stop conversion and aid in lautering.

Light, Med and Full body should be picked to match the style of the beer you are brewing. 

Batch sparging is a method where you add water to the mash tun and drain it in batches.  Here's an article on it:
  http://www.beersmith.com/blog/2008/03/09/how-to-batch-sparge-a-guide-for-batch-sparging-and-no-sparge/

Most of these are really important for all grain brewers and have a smaller effect if you are doing partial mash.  However, its never too early to start learning about the different types...there is lots more stuff on all grain on our blog.

Cheers,
Brad

Thanks Brad

Your response is appreciated. 

The articles on your blog are great -- I read several.

My suggestion is that you refer to these articles in your Help menus/info to provide more information.

My question was kind of dumb, but I expect that most BeerSmith users all go through the same confusion/learning/knowledge phase. 

See you 'bug' area for another topic.

Back