• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Refractometer and Final Gravity Reading

G

gpribula

I am thinking of purchasing a refractometer and was wondering if the program calculates final gravity readings. I know that it calculates OG and fermenting wort and that it has a finished beer ABV and OG table, but, what about that final gravity reading before kegging and bottling, does Beersmith perform this calculation. I went on-line and found a tool that does it, but, it would be nice if it was all in one program. Thanks. Love the program.

Yes, you would still use the Tools \ Refractometer Tool \ Fermenting Wort Gravity selection. 

I have been using my refract for final gravities using a long formula I entered into a calculator, and checked it twice against a very good hydrometer and it matched exactly.  Then I found the BSmith tool, which matched the refractometer, so it seemed quite accurate. 

Refractometers are great b/c the sample size is so small and easy to get that it motivates me to use it more often.  I check the progress of the mash, the pre-boil gravity, the progress of the boil toward the final gravity, and then the actual starting gravity once in the carboy before pitching.  And then once fermenting has begun, it is simple to check for terminal final gravity.  It's helped my understanding of the process quite a bit. 

Back