• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Two queries from a noob

Schofe

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi. I'm a little new to BeerSmith. I took a search through the forum, but I'm sorry if these have been dealt with before: Firstly, I was trying to figure out why my recipe ABV estimate didn't change when I increased the grain bill, until I realised it was constrained by the alcohol tolerance in the yeast properties. In the software, is there a way to flag when this happens so you can then consider changing to a yeast with a higher tolerance for that particular recipe (or editing up the yeast tolerance in the properties)? The other query was whether there was a way to add 'mod time' as a column header in the My Recipes list? I see 'Mod Time' is available as a column header in the Cloud recipe list. It would be useful for me to keep easier track of which files I'm swapping around between my recipes list and my cloud list. Grateful for any advice on this. Cheers.

Welcome to the forum!

At present, there is no flag for the ABV being higher than the yeast tolerance limits.  This has caused lots of hand wringing and tears from some users and I know a suggestion has been made for some type of flag (usually a dot appearing in red next to the value which is being flagged).  I would expect to see it in a future update of the software.

As for the 'mod time' column, I believe that this is set by the upload date onto the cloud storage.  Since this does not exist in the recipe, other than the 'date' setting, which most of the users set to the brew date.  I set my recipe dates in the 'my recipes' folder to 1/1/2001 and update it after I place a copy into the 'brew log' folder.  I use the 'brew log' function and folder to track past brewed recipes and the results of that brew date as well as make last minute adjustments to the recipes before brewing. 

Personally, I use the 'version' to track changes to the base recipe by upping the version number each time a make change to the master copy of the recipe.

Thanks for the welcome Oginme, and the helpful advice. I see what you mean about the mod time. I'll get into the habit of using the version field in future. Seems we share interest in guitar as well as beer. Two of the better things in life... cheers.

Back