• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Extract Northern German Alt Recipe

The Chadd

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey all, this is my first post here.  I'm looking to make a Northern German Alterbier.  I've read through this thread: http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=195.0, already, but figured that extract may be worthy of a new topic  ;).

I went for the Crystal 120 versus the Black Patent.  I'm debating whether or not I want to steep some Pilsner with it to add some more grainy and breadiness.  I'm planning to use a lager yeast.

Cheers!
Chadd

Style: Northern German Altbier
TYPE: Extract

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal     
Boil Size: 6.27 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 15.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 33.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type        % or IBU     
6.00 lb      Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)              Dry Extract  77.42 %     
1.00 lb      Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)                    Grain        12.90 %     
0.75 lb      Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM)    Grain        9.68 %       
1.50 oz      Spalt [6.00 %]  (60 min)                  Hops        31.7 IBU     
0.25 oz      Spalt [6.00 %]  (10 min)                  Hops        1.9 IBU   

Simple recipes make great beers! The Pilsner would be a solid addition.

Cheers
Preston

Alright. Hit the brew shop to pick up my ingredients.  Of course they were out of WyYeast 1007, and White Labs WLP029  ???.  Yeah, I could order my crap in advance, but that's not how I roll!  So I found WyYeast 2565 (the Kolsch one).  They were out of Spalt hops, so I picked some 8% perle for bittering and 3% hallertauer for aroma/flavor.  I'm going to use 6.6 lb of pils LME instead of 6 lb dry.  So we shall see what happens.  Updated here:

Batch Size: 5.00 gal     
Boil Size: 6.27 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 13.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 33.0 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU     
6.60 lb       Pilsner Liquid Extract (3.5 SRM)          Extract      70.59 %       
1.00 lb       Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)                     Grain        10.70 %       
1.00 lb       Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM)             Grain        10.70 %       
0.75 lb       Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM)    Grain        8.02 %       
1.00 oz       Pearle [8.00 %]  (60 min)                 Hops         29.0 IBU     
1.00 oz       Hallertauer [3.00 %]  (10 min)            Hops         3.9 IBU       
1 Pkgs        Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565)          Yeast-Ale         

Excellent choice on the Pilsner LME! That's what I would have done also! Let us know how it turns out!
Cheers
Preston

Thanks Preston!  You bet I'll post the brewing play by play and my tasting results.  I found a stash of Pilsener DME; so I may use that to bump of the gravity a little.  I also now have a second kettle and burner in my possession, so a hot "sparge" (yeah I know, < 170F) of my steeping bag may help a little too.

Any recommendations on clearing the beer?  The yeast is low flocculation, and I was only planning a couple weeks of cold conditioning.  Toss in some gelatin, perhaps?

Quick update:  OG is 1058 after I added 1/2 lb of Golden DME to the boil.  Fermenting nice and slowly at 53-55 F.

Currently I'm debating when I should rack off a 12pack of bottles for future competitions....before or after diacetyl rest, or after lagering.  Wondering if the yeast would be too dormant after lagering to eat the priming sugar.

Clear beer? No way!
If you are kegging your beer go ahead and use the gelatin (I do), but if you plan on bottle conditioning, I would not add gelatin. The result of that would be it may take longer to carbonate because of the decreased amount of yeast in suspension. A Diacetyl rest would be beneficial after you are about 70% finished with fermentation. My lagers usually take about 10-14 days to finish out. Pull a Hydrometer reading at 10 days to see where you are at and if you are close, pull it out of the cold and let it finish warm. I usually do a Three stage fermentation with lagers and modify to fit what the beer is doing. Primary 10-14 days, Diacetyl Rest 2-5 days, and Tertiary 14 days. Bottle/Keg Condition for 60 days. Then Drink and be Merry!

The decision to do a Diacetyl rest is your decision. I have heard discussions that go both ways on the subject. It may or may not be helpful. For me I like to do it because I feel it makes better beer because the yeast is able to clean up after itself more vigorously. Either way I'm sure it will be good beer!

Cheers
Preston

My palate is very sensitive to diacetyl; so I try to avoid it.  I will be kegging 4 gal and bottling 1 gal, so gelatin won't be a problem (assuming I've already bottled the other portion  ;)).  I'm thinking I'll bottle after diacetyl rest while the yeast is still somewhat active.  Then I'll lager the 4gal in the keg, and let the bottles sit a couple more weeks at 55.  Oh experimentation  :p

Good idea to check the gravity after 10 days; I didn't think of that.

The Chadd said:
My palate is very sensitive to diacetyl; so I try to avoid it.  I will be kegging 4 gal and bottling 1 gal, so gelatin won't be a problem (assuming I've already bottled the other portion  ;)).  I'm thinking I'll bottle after diacetyl rest while the yeast is still somewhat active.  Then I'll lager the 4gal in the keg, and let the bottles sit a couple more weeks at 55.  Oh experimentation  :p
Good idea to check the gravity after 10 days; I didn't think of that.
There you have it, Bottling and Kegging!
I actually bottle from the Keg using a Home made beer gun.
Cheers
Preston

Back