• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brown sugar

B

beernut

Can anyone tell me why brown sugar is included in some Ale AG recipes,  just curious.

To bring in some color, increase the alcohol content and add maybe a hint of molasses.

Fred

bonjour said:
To bring in some color, increase the alcohol content and add maybe a hint of molasses.

Fred
All the above, plus maybe ensure a drier finish than you'd get with more base grain/malt.  Cane sugar and brown sugar should attenuate much more fully than malt-made sugars. 

Careful,

It is using less grain that contributes to the drier finish,  NOT the addition of sugar. 
If I have a recipe that uses 10 pounds of grain, and
If I have a recipe that uses 10 pounds of grain plus a pound of sugar,
which one has a drier finish?

Answer, neither.

If I have a recipe that uses 10 pounds of grain, and
If I have a recipe that uses 9 pounds of grain plus a pound of sugar, (targeting the same OG I didn't work it out)
which one has a drier finish?

Answer the one with the less grain.

Fred

True enough, but the original post said "included" and not added.  Adding (brown) sugar to ten pounds may not dry out the finish significantly.  (Though it will increase the ratio of simpler sugars to maltose slightly; we did add 1# of 1.046.)

But if 1.081 is the goal OG for a tripel, it would be much harder to reach a goal FG of 1.011 with 100% grain, so they "include" 10-15% simpler sugars, reducing grain as you prescribe.  Some high-gravity Belgian recipes even call for small additions of simple sugar (often with rising ferm temps) during the active ferm to keep the yeast going, to ensure the expected dry finish.

Assuming the same grain bill, a mash temp of 149F will create a more fermentable wort than will a mash temp of 156F b/c the lower temp favors beta amylase which favors creation of simpler sugars.  Simply adding 1# of brown sugar to each may not dry out the finish of either. 

The other simpler answer is that some brewers like to boost the ABV%.  ;)

Thanks Guys I am a helluva lot wiser.  If you don't ask you live in ignorance

Cheers

Back