• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith Data Missing

joeinma

Brewer
Reaction score
Help!  I seem to have lost everything!  I have BS3 and use Dropbox Folder as the document folder to save everything. I opened BeerSmith at work, noticed two recipes I added at home yesterday were not there, closed BeerSmith and checked Dropbox to see it was syncing.  After it was done I tried opening Beersmith again but got the dreaded BeerSmith Data is missing with a message that "BeerSmith can not find any recipe data in the directory where it was installed." 

Just got home from work and tried at home, but same thing is happening. Thing is when I go to my BeerSmith folder, I see a folder called recipe under it, dated today, that has 25,000 KB of data in it.

Any suggestions? Really would hate to lose 10 years of recipes. Have hard copies of most of my recipes, but had all BYO and Zymurgy recipes, plus recipes from 6-7 beer books.

Start by backing up what is left by copying to a safe location.  If anything is recoverable, you can copy file back to dropbox and keep trying to recover backup files.

Then open BS3 and in the file menu there is restore backup options.  Try those. 

You can also open a backup file in the file / open menu and navigate to the dropbox folder and open files manually.

Doesn't dropbox have a file recovery option? I have recovered edited file but don't know how it works using an app like BS3 from two different computer and locations.

Brad has advised dropbox isn't supported and issue may result.  If you are not already, I would recommend regular backup of the BS3 folder.  In windows, I just select files, right click and send to zip file then add an appropriate name with the date.

Best of luck.

I've lost a lot if recipes. I'm using Android. How do I recover them? Brad has told me to back up my remaining recipes but the back up system doesn't allow more than 15 recipes. He's not given a solution yet on how to fix it and recover the lost data. So frustrating!

Back