• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bug Candidate: ABV not saved/displayed correctly when using FG refractometer too

petemoss

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Description:
On the Session tab, if you have a Measured OG entered and you then manually enter a Measured FG, then the Measured ABV value is calculated correctly. However, if you have a Measured OG and you then use the Measured FG refractometer tool to calculate your FG, the Measured ABV value is calculated incorrectly. Actually, I tend to think that the ABV value is simply not updated when the refractometer tool closes.

As info, the FG refractometer tool itself seems to calculate the correct FG and shows the correct ABV from within the tool. When you save on the tool, it copies the correct FG to the Session tab. The ABV value just shows up incorrectly. If you then manually re-enter the FG value, the ABV value also updates to the correct value.

Steps to reproduce:
I am showing the minimum steps needed to reproduce, though this would behave the same with a fully filled out recipe.
1. Create a new recipe.
2. Go to the session tab.
3. Enter a Measured OG of 1.050.
4. Click the refractometer tool next to the Measured FG field.
5. You should be on the Fermenting Wort Gravity calculation with an OG pre-filled to 1.050.
6. Enter a Refractometer Reading of 5 BRIX.
7. Note that you are given a Corrected Gravity of 1.001 with an ABV of 6.4%.
8. Click OK on the refractometer tool.
9. Note that the Measured FG on the Session tab has updated to 1.001 but that the Measured ABV field has not been updated. This is the issue that I am reporting.
10. Additionally, manually select the value in the Measured FG field and type 1.001.
11. Note that the Measured ABV value has now updated to 6.4%.

Short version: I think that the FG refractometer tool, when closed, does not trigger an update of the Measured ABV field.

Environment:
MacOS: OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.6
BeerSmith 3: Version 3.0.8

I just duplicated this with one of my recipes.  You are correct, the entering of the final gravity by use of the refractometer tool does not trigger an update of the ABV field.  Manually entering the number does.

I have just encountered the same issue and am wondering if this is to be addressed in the software. I just purchased a refractometer and on completing my last brew (a Grimbergen clone) used my Brix reading to calculate FG and ABV. This worked OK on first entry. However, opening the refract. tool to check and update my Brix, strange things started happening. The Brix reading had changed from 7 to 2.74 and ABV to 9.24... Correcting the Brix to 7 again, reverted the FG to 1.011 - this was repeatable except on a couple of tests, the false ABV reading remained and kept increasing. My [correct] numbers were: 1.055 OG; Brix 7 with FG 1.010/1.011 giving an ABV of about 5.9/6. 
This is clearly a bug. Although the get around is simply to check that ABV and FG numbers are responding to any new Brix reading

Back