• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash and Sparge water adjusments

tochsner

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am trying out the water adjustment tool for the first time. I think I have it figured out pretty well. The problem that I have is that I collect my full volume of brewing liquor in one kettle to heat. I like to treat all of the water at one time. I don't treat the mash and sparge water separately.  I know I can just add the two totals together to get the actual additions but is there some setting in BS that will just how it as one addition and not split it between a mash and a sparge?

Tony

The only way to force it to combine all of the water additions is to use a BIAB mash profile which will result in only one set of water additions for the entire volume.

Brad

Was this ever updated? I would love to be able to calculate all of my my water additions into one instead of separating mash and sparge additions, without having to use a BIAB profile that doesn't allow for sparging.

I have it doing what you say.... although I'm not 100% sure I am doing it correctly.
If you go to tools, water profile tools, and create your salt additions this way. I.e. start with your base water, target a water profile, match profile and then save the salts to target.

You can now bring the target water into your recipe. It will tell you that the target includes salt additions and ask if you want them. Select yes. It will import the salt additions. Now look at the design page and they will be listed as totals. Switch back to the water tab and it will show them listed. Check the "don't include water salts" button and it will correct the math at the bottom (otherwise it includes the salts twice in the math).

I think this gives you the right total salts - but double check!!

If you import the water from the water tab in the recipe, it will split them out separately into sparge and mash..... which is also not what I want.

Was this ever updated? I would love to be able to calculate all of my my water additions into one instead of separating mash and sparge additions, without having to use a BIAB profile that doesn't allow for sparging.
I have no idea what kind of system you are using but if you can fill your vessel with the full volume of water just use the BIAB mash profile as Brad suggests then after adding your salts remove the volume of water you intend to sparge with.

I have no idea what kind of system you are using but if you can fill your vessel with the full volume of water just use the BIAB mash profile as Brad suggests then after adding your salts remove the volume of water you intend to sparge with.
If you use BIAB it doesn't calculate the correct mash volume and assumes you aren't sparging. If you use the equipment profile for what you are actually using, everything seems to work. There are equipment profiles available for pretty well all the all in one systems in the add ins.

Back