• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Features and options

mr_beer

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
I currently have BeeerSmith2.  When I elect to upgrade to BeerSmith3 I am offered the One time basic or the Gold Subscription. 

Windows environment.  I am a rural Arkansas resident with very slooow Internet speed.  Counting on Cloud services works sort of but it is very slooow.

Do both program options (Basic and Gold)  involve the download and installation of a desktop software program on a workstation?

Does the Gold version make frequent 'trips' to the Internet for data or is that data contained in the desktop PC system?

Can recipes be downloaded with the Gold subscription and saved to the local PC system?

Do the downloaded recipes and other forms of work product in the Gold product expire and disappear at the end of the subscription timeframe or does the software just start working like the Basic system?

The software resides on your computer as do the main files.  The gold service is a subscription service which allows for greater cloud storage of recipes and free updates to the software as they become available, regardless of the version, in exchange for a monthly fee.  Basic (which I have), allows for limited storage of recipes in the cloud and free updates only within the basic version (3.x).  Once Brad releases the next major update (4.x), I will need to decide if I want to upgrade or not and pay for the next version. 

To restate some of my original inquiry...

Can recipes be downloaded with the Gold subscription and saved to the local PC system?

Do the downloaded recipes and other forms of work product in the Gold product expire and disappear at the end of the subscription timeframe or does the software just start working like the Basic system?

Reread my response:  The software resides on your computer.  You can download recipes from the cloud (and upload them to the cloud) through the software.  Even with a basic subscription I can access recipes from the BeerSmith recipe cloud, download them onto my copy of the software, and store up to 15 recipes to the cloud if I so choose.

As to what happens if you stop the software subscription, you will need to ask Brad directly.  The page explaining the licensing options at http://beersmith.com/beersmith-3-licensing-explained/ does not go into the option of dropping gold subscription and what happens afterwards. 

Back