• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Separate mash and sparge water profiles in BS3

umrmepe

Apprentice
Reaction score
Is there a way to build a water profile in BS3 using 100% distilled for the mash water and a different base water for the sparge water.  I am able to do this in other water calculators such as EZ Water Calculator.  It appears BS3 allows mixed base waters, but does not allow for separate water profiles for mash and sparge.

You can use separate water profiles with some manipulation. This assumes you will be using tap water for sparging and only need to add salts to build the mash water. Enter and save the profile of the water you'll be sparging with under Ingredients/Water. This is for your reference and won't affect the recipe since you won't be using the water tool with this water.

Once you've entered the fermentables and hops in the recipe, click on "add water" and select distilled water. Change the amount shown to your strike water volume.

Next, go to the "Water" tab and go through the normal process of selecting the water profile for your mash. When you get to the window that shows the individual salt additions delete all of the sparge additions. Go to the "Mash" tab and adjust pH as needed. Go back to the design tab and click on "add water". Select the profile you entered for your sparge water and adjust the amount as needed.
All that's left now is to add yeast and any other misc. ingredients.

If you do plan to add salts and/or acid to your sparge water, I would suggest using a different water calculator to build this profile before entering it into your ingredients in BeerSmith.

Thanks for the reply.  My other water profile calculator (EZ Water) allows this type of scenario as well.  I typically will acidify may sparge water but add my sparge salts during the boil.  I need to do more research to determine if the boil salts make a difference.  If they do not, then I can use BS3 to build the mash water profile.

Basically, BS3 doesn't allow separate mash and sparge base water profiles.  I've already put a suggestion in about this.

My solution - wait until Brad fixes this and put up with the deficiency until it is. 

I feel it is a bit of an oversight, whereby it is setup as "get all your base water together, then you can separate it out and make adjustments".  Otherwise, I still use it for the acidification of the sparge and put the salts in the mash or boil (not sparge).  When I've used distilled water to dilute various ions, I've split it in an equal ratio. Otherwise, I now mostly just use my tap water as the base with only salts and lactic acid added.  Doing this, BS3 gets me my pH every time. Is this an option for you (maybe distilled for both?), or is your water out so much that you have to have them different?

After such good work getting this together, I'm hoping that Brad is able to address this sometime in a future update.

Back