• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Boil Off Rate Error

chayes1126

Apprentice
Reaction score
So im fairly new to BeerSmith.  I started with beer smith 2 and am now using the trial for beer smith 3 at the moment.  The last beer I made I noticed I was short about half a gallon into the fermenter.  Couldn't figure out why.  Today I entered my new recipe into beer smith and noticed the error but can't seem to correct it.  Beersmith is only calculating my boil off rate at half a gallon.  My equipment profile is set for a 1hr boil and a 1 gallon boil off rate.  However, beer smith always shows half a gallon no matter what I do.  So if I boil off a gallon after the beer cools, im left almost a half gallon short on brew day.  Anyone have any idea what is going on here?  Ive since manual went into scale recipe and changed the preboil volume and added an extra half gallon, but I shouldn't have to do this.  What am I doing wrong?

Extract? All-grain?  Are you measuring your volumes pre-boil and post boil?  How are you adjusting the boil off rate in your equipment profile?  Are you updating the recipe with the new equipment profile once you make the adjustment?

And after I typed all this out, and struggled for so many hours with this.  Ive just figured it out.  I was changing my mash profile and not my boil profile in my recipe.  I still had an old 2.5 gallon recipe set for my boil.  Sorry guys but thanks for the help!

Under the Equipment profile "Boiler" heading, make sure that both boil volume and boiloff rate calculation boxes are checked so that BeerSmith doesn't treat the numbers as absolute.

Make sure you make this change to your existing recipes (all profiles are stored individually within recipes) and to teh main profile.

Back