• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adding actual fermentation/kegging/bottling dates

NinjaMedic

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello, I tried to search but didn't find an answer. Is there a way to add the actual dates I move a beer into secondary or keg etc? I usually do this on Saturday/Sunday's so it's not always exactly the day it's supposed to be; other times I let it go until fermentation is complete and that is longer than predicted. I cannot find a way to do this... thought?

G

Everything works off of the brew date set on the design tab.  You can manipulate the fermentation profile within the recipe to reflect the actual times and then they will show up on the calendar as your events actually happened.  Doing this will reflect the actual times for each fermentation step and date on the calendar for each of your recipes as or after you finish brewing and bottling/kegging them.

The other way to record it in the recipe is to use the 'notes' section the actual dates and events for that brew session.

So, it looks like session data (gravity readings, racking dates, etc) are tied inside a recipe?  I have been adding recipes and changing them, and when I look at my calendar, I've got all these brew dates set, which I haven't done.  It looks like a session is started automatically from inside a recipe when opening?

I can't say I agree with this workflow.  Is this working well for people?

This depends upon how you (or if you) have set up the calendar.  If you go to 'options' >'brewing', you will find the viewing options for the calendar.  You can set this to display 'all recipe folders', the 'main recipe folder', or 'brew log only'.  You can also specify to set the calendar only to show those recipe where you are listed as the brewer.

If you use the brew log function for the recipes that you are brewing, it is pretty easy to set up.  Then only those recipe in the brew log will be visible on the calendar.

If you want the calendar to look at recipes in all the folders or the main recipe folder, then you need to set the dates on all the recipes to distant past (I set my recipes to 1/1/2001 when creating them).  This way they will not appear on the calendar (or actually will appear if you click back using the 'way back machine'. 

Likewise, you can specify only to show those recipes where you are the brewer and leave the 'brewer' field blank on all your recipes which you are not scheduling to brew.

Personally, I find that using the 'brew log' and placing copies of the recipe into it when I am scheduling to brew them is the easiest way to use the calendar.  It also makes it easy to see the recipes that I have scheduled, track brew dates, and separates them from the master copies in my main recipe folders.

Back