• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Activation and online features not working in Linux

paulds

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am unable to activate the software or access any of the online features (cloud folders, add-ons) from Linux.  When trying to activate, I get the message "Can't Connect to Activation Server
The activation server at https://BeerSmithRecipes.com could not be reached."  I don't think this is a firewall issue, because I did a packet capture during the connection attempt, and I do see the TCP 3-way handshake succeeding with the beersmithrecipes.com IP address on port 443, but it's followed immediately by a FIN-ACK/FIN-ACK/ACK connection shutdown. I also disabled my firewall entirely just to confirm that the behavior is the same.

Is it possible there's a TLS issue of some sort?  Brad, in case it helps track these connections in the logs, my last attempt was from IP address 73.110.231.4.

Also, not sure if it's relevant or related, but when I launch the program from the command line, I get this warning message:
10:40:01: Warning: Web extension not found in "/usr/local/lib/wx/3.1.1/web-extensions", some wxWebView functionality will be not available

Please advise on how to proceed with activation, and if there's any way to get the online features working.

If you want an immediate response from Brad, I would recommend sending him an email at beersmith at beersmith dot com.  You will get a quicker resolution.

I have the same issue.  Although I'm not using a Debian Linux, I did extract the build to get everything installed.  I also went as far as turning off my firewall.  Still, the on-line access fails.

The WX issue for me is the app looks for the extensions in /usr/local/lib/wx and mine are installed in /usr/lib64/wx.  A simple symbolic link got me past the startup error.  But, I still don't have on-line access.

There are 9 days left on my current evaluation at which time I will have to delete everything and reinstall.  I do have a license key to run the software.  I just can't configure it.

I think I just solved this.  I'm running Fedora 28.  I ran strace on the process and noticed that, right before it terminates the connection to the server, it was attempting to access "/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt", which doesn't exist.  But there is a "ca-bundle.crt" in the same directory, which ought to serve the same function.  I made a symlink from one to the other ("sudo ln -s /etc/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt"), re-ran BeerSmith3, and now it works.  I was able to activate my license, and the online features appear to be working as well.

@paulds  Thank you so much!  I also run Fedora 28 and this resolves my issue, too. 

Thank you so much for that, it worked on openSuse as well.

For the folks to have a reference, the symbolic link you need to create is:
ln -s /var/lib/ca-certificates/ca-bundle.pem ca-certificates.crt

Best regards

Thank you paulds!!  Your Symlink fix worked!! After I spent several days getting beersmith to run on my fedora machine.  Cheers!!

Back