• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Converted Keg for 10 gallon batches?

Rep

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi

I currently have a keg that I use as a brew pot.  I am interested in moving to ten gallon batches.

I therefore scaled one of my favorite recipes and found I would need more than a 15 1/2 gallon brew pot for the Oktoberfest.

Anybody here using a keg for 10 gallon batches, and, how do I set Beer Smith up to get there?

Thanks

I use a converted keg as a kettle and my 10G batch's has never been over 13G. There are things that you could do that would affect the boil volume: Evaporation rate, Boil Time, Loss to Trub, Lauter tun Deadspace, etc. You should check http://www.beersmith.com/equipment_setup.htm for setting up your equipment, and what each setting means. Each setup is unique and these settings are key to your brewing day.
Cheers
Preston

You "can" fit 14G in a keggle.  I did it once with foam control and will never go over 13G again.  14G took it to less than an inch from the top.  If I had a fan blowing over the top it might be doable, but nucleation from adding hops is a REAL problem even with the anti-foam.

It doesn't appear as though BeerSmith lets you set a "largest boilable size" and upscale to there.  You gotta figure that out yourself and re-jigger it based on your experience.  The supplied boil-off seems spot-on for me (can't remember it if is 7% or 9%).  Based on that, even with a 120 minute boil gets you down to 10.7G and with my elbow and pump my losses are less than .7G. 

Anyway, I ferment in cornies and a 8G fermenter.  The cornies should only have maybe 4.5G ferment volume anyway...  Don't know what you're using.  2 x 6.5 carboys?

DOH! I have been working on getting a pair for HLT and boile pot 'Pacifically to support a move to 10 gallon doses.  Everyone I read on with a fancy schmancy setup uses them. 

Then, use I was planning to split the wort into 2 Carboys.  Maybe even start playing yeast games then.

Back