• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Post Mash Gravity & Pre BOil Gravity?

Fatduckbrewery

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi All

I'm a little confused when using beersmith 3, it asks for you to fill in your post mash gravity in the Mash efficiency column.
Then in the next column volume & gravity in boiler it asks for the pre boil gravity?

Surely these must be the same number as nothing yet has changed from finishing your mash to starting your boil? But in all recipes Beersmith always calcs a 10 point difference between the two and i always have the same.

So what I'm i doing wrong or not understanding.

Thanks

Craig

The number will be the same for any all-grain recipe with no sugar adjuncts added before the boil.  In any recipe where the brewer is adding sugar or malt extract before the boil, it will show the gravity achieved by the mash (post mash gravity) separate from that with the sugar added (pre-boil gravity).

Likewise, some people who are limited in their mash tun may top off water into the boil kettle.  This would lower the gravity reading from the post mash value.

Back