• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Changing Equipment Profiles

Kevin58

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
After spending a lot of time building my equipment profiles I went and sold my brew system. I have ordered a new electric turnkey system from High Gravity Brewing (https://www.highgravitybrew.com/store/pc/configurePrd.asp?idproduct=5064&qty=1). Which means all of my recipes will have to be updated with a new equipment profile... and I have a lot of recipes.

Is there a way to change the profile to a batch of recipes in one step or do I have to change them individually?

Unfortunately, you will need to update the equipment profile on a recipe by recipe basis.  It is one of the drawbacks of the 'self-contained archive' system that by no means overcomes the benefits of same system.

When I have updated my equipment profile to match my current system values, I note the change with the date in the equipment profile name.  This allows me to update the equipment profile as I review the recipe and before I add it to the brew log folder.

Kevin58 said:
Is there a way to change the profile to a batch of recipes in one step or do I have to change them individually?

As Oginme pointed out, there isn't a batch update ability.

I'd suggest putting your current recipes in a folder with the old equipment name. Then create another folder with the new equipment name. As you brew, you'd just copy the recipe from the old folder to the new one and then use the scale recipe function to adjust it for the new equipment. 

That way, you're not only preserving the recipe you've already written, but only archiving what you want to brew and what you add to the new equipment profile.

Inevitably, your equipment will change again. At that time, it'll probably be beneficial to have the baseline recipes to go back to and scale up again.

I've noticed that as I move recipes between brewhouses, I make small changes to ingredient weights for ease of measuring, but scaling over and over is a bit like how translators drift if you just keep retranslating the same phrase into new languages.

Back