• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Honey as ingridient - brix vs SG calculations

tibek

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi there,

Question about SG of honey as an ingredient - so far i've been using Canadian Honey Product Inspection manual. Chapter 5 ( http://www.inspection.gc.ca/DAM/DAM-food-aliments/STAGING/text-texte/honey_manual_chapter5_1385736657998_eng.pdf ) has a table on page 5-12 which lists brix measurment, sg, moisture and refractive index.
Recently I discovered, that BS3 uses some different formula, as entering same measured brix i get different resutls.
Any idea why?

When the ingredient Type is set to Honey, you can enter the brix value without converting it to the "one pound dissolved to make 1 gallon" value that's used for grain.

The measurement difference is probably due to the fact that BeerSmith uses the sucrose value of Brix refraction. The document you cited seems to be adjusting for fructose.

Various sugars have slightly different refractive values. The difference is minor enough that brewers are ok citing the refraction of maltose and dextrines in in the sucrose scale value. There are adjustment calculations available for better precision, if desired.

Back