• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Starting to dislike BS ;-(

Fatduckbrewery

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm not sure whats going on, but since i've upgraded to BS3 my brewing has gone off the rails, and i dont enjoy using this software anymore.

I seem to always get way out wrong PH values and lactic acid amounts, the amount of sparge water BS states is simply diluting my beers into water and im now never close to my OG targets as i was in BS2.

I'm crushing my malts to 1.55mm, get nice figures in the recipe but when it comes to reality it's simply always a mile out.
Its really starting to upset me, so I need some help or maybe I'll switch to another brewing program, as i just don't get it.

I use a Speidel Braumeister 20L

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks all.

Use the BS PH target as a guide line, but the software add always too much lactic acid,
I put around 1/4 of the amount before adding my grains and adjust after 10min of the mash.

your grain crush is too big, go with 1.1mm, or for better efficiency pass it once at 1.4mm and a second time to .07mm
I passed from 72% efficency to 82%

thanks

Braumeister say i should crush at 1.6mm and i do 1.5. As the mash tun sits inside the kettle and the wort recirculates through it, so i its too fine it can stall.

I feel stressed over something I should be enjoying, just so much contradicting advice and you feel pressured to hit all the correct numbers. hmmmm need to relax. 

Beersmith is a tool, and you need to understand how to use it properly to get good results. As with most software, if you give it bad input you will get bad output. If BeerSmith is telling you to use water volumes that are too high, then you need to adjust your equipment profile. Here are some videos on how to set up your equipment profiles:
https://youtu.be/QmW7pwQP5mQ
https://youtu.be/HwEbjOt8OR8

Once you get these dialed in to your equipment and process you should get accurate results.

--GF

Thanks

Thats what im trying to do, but there is not much info for a braumeister to support in helping me dial it in.
I've reviewed and tweaked some of the figures especially for the mash and sparge phase, as they certainly looked a little out of balance.

Shall proceed with a new attempt on Friday, fingers crossed....

Back