• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

First wort hopping

razz

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello all. I just finished brewing an APA and I think I have made a mistake in recipe formulation. I added hops as FWH but did not enter a boil time value. As a rule I boil for 90 minutes, I assumed that Beersmith would make the necessary IBU calculation. Should I have entered 90 mins for the boil calculation? I think I should have done this and now fear that my beer is way to bitter. 72 IBU rather than 27 IBU for a starting gravity of 46.

Hi,
  Yes, FWH generally reflects the whole boil time.  However FWH also tends to blend into the beer much better for a lower perceived bitterness, so I would not panic too much.  It might be a bit more bitter than you expected but I still suspect you will enjoy the final result.  I use FWH extensively on my brews.  Here's an article on it:
http://www.beersmith.com/blog/2008/03/17/the-first-wort-hop-beer-brewing-techniques/

Cheers,
Brad

Back