• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Advice and opinions on carboniation

mr_beer

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
I fool feelish about not keeping better notes.

Last year I made some Hard Cider.  My notes show that I used potassium sorbate @ 1/2 tsp/gallon and potassium metabisulfite @ one tablet per gallon.  That is supposed to sterilize/stop the yeast. 

Several days later I bottled it in Champaign bottles with the addition of xylitol for back sweetening.

The cider was so-so but everyone comments on the tiny bubbles in the beverage -- much like Champagne.

I cannot determine how that carbonation got into the beverage since I used the potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulfite which should have stifled the additional fermentation.

I would like to duplicate this effect of tiny bubbles for a mead but I am unsure what I did to get those small bubbles.

Do you have any idea how this might have happened or suggestions to re-create the same effect in a mead? 

If I'm not mistaken, the potassium sorbate and metabisulfite keep the yeasts from reproducing. While this seriously retards fermentation it doesn't stop it entirely. That, coupled with residual CO2 at bottling time is likely where your tiny bubbles came from.

The only other explanation I can think of is that Don Ho has risen from the grave and is happily singing his most famous hit. Just had to slip that in :)

Thank you Bob

The Don Ho reference was appropriate and appreciated.  :)

I am sure you are correct -- fermentation did not stop completely and there might have been some residual CO2. 

That said, I am now trying to reproduce the effect since I do not have kegging equipment.  It would be nice to know what stage the SG was relative to the OG but I did not measure -- shame on me.  And I can keep speculating but it would be useful to have some more metrics to use.  Possibly someone else will have some notions.

Unfortunately, the best metrics are usually particular to individual brews. Good notes are priceless when your intent is to reproduce something special. BTDT.

Back