• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Does beersmith 3 take care about BH effciency when it talks about yeast needed ?

Guib

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I'm beginner for brewing and i'm wondering : does beersmith 3 take care about BH efficiency when i read the yeast needed ?
For example : beersmith says i need 250 Bi yeast. But as i got a BH eff of 75%, if i bring only 187.5 Bi, is it allright ?
I hope i'm clear.
Thank you for your answer and have a nice day

The cell count requirement is calculated using the estimated OG and volume into the fermenter as well as the type of yeast (Ale or Lager). BHE tells you what percentage of the total available sugars made it into the fermenter. This is part of the equation the program uses to estimate OG, so has already been figured in. Unless user inputs are way off the cell count from the yeast tool will work just fine. You don't need to overthink this.

I think I got it !
So I will have to decrease my amount of fermentable because my cells shouldn't be enough ! (250 Bi required, one bag is about 180)
Thank for your answer, have a good day !

If you're counting on 180b cells in a bag you must be using Imperial yeast? make sure you check the date on your package as well. 180b/250 wouldn't be a serious underpitch but it's quite simple to make a quick starter.

Guib said:
I think I got it !
So I will have to decrease my amount of fermentable because my cells shouldn't be enough ! (250 Bi required, one bag is about 180)
Thank for your answer, have a good day !

Don't compromise your recipe just for a shortage of active yeast cells.  You can do a small starter to build up the number of cells and either pitch the whole starter (which I personally do not do) or do a quick cold crash and decant the clear(ish) wort from the yeast cake before pitching.

Another thing that I have done very successfully is to save out a half liter to a liter of wort from my recipe (I use this for checking gravity, so I chill it quickly) and put it in a sanitized flask or mason jar and aerate it well by shaking or using an oxygen stone.  Pitch your yeast into this jar, cover it loosely with aluminum foil and leave it some where warm and away from direct sunlight.  When this starts to show solid signs of fermentation, pitch the whole thing into your now chilled wort in your carboy or fermenting pail. 

This small jump start for the yeast will spur it to start consuming the sugars and prepare the cells for budding.  When added to the larger batch, the cells are already active and on their way to creating more cells.  It usually takes 4 to 6 hours for the vitality starter to begin foaming on the surface and the cell counts are usually up by about 10% to 15% over the number pitched by my counts.

Back