• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

change default *.bsm directory - non-admin acct in XP

W

WheeledGoat

BeerSmith wasn't saving any of my recipies, yeasts, or hops!  They seemed to add fine, but when I closed BeerSmith and then reopened it, everything was gone.  I started looking through how to save and export and import, but couldn't believe I would have to import my stuff every time I opened the program... 

Turns out it's because I use a non-administrator account in XP!

If I open BeerSmith by selecting "Run As..." and choosing an admin account, then the files save correctly and everything works.  I'm sure this is because only administrator accounts are going to have write access to the "/program files" directory.

I searched for this problem, but nothing came up.  I'm surprised this hasn't come up before...  I mean, if you regularly use an administrator account in XP for daily use, you're just asking for viruses, trojans, etc.  but I digress.

What I started looking for in BeerSmith, and could not find (under tools -> options), would be a selection to change the default directory for my *.bsm files - something, say, in "My Documents" for a particular XP user.  Am I just missing it?

Hi,
  The files are stored under C:\Program Files\BeerSmith.  In most cases if you run as a non-administrator in Vista, your files will actually be stored in a "compatability" directory under that.  Under XP, you really only have a problem if you install as an admin and run as a non-admin.

Another easy solution is to give yourself write permissions to the BeerSmith directory and sub-directories.

Cheers,
Brad

Back