• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Carbonation Screen

ipscman

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm confused and need help.

The RECIPE screen carbonation temperature seems to refer to the fermentation temp, thus calculating the amount of CO2 already absorbed in the beer before priming.

The CARBONATION tool suggests the temp to use is the "temperature while carbonating" and doesn't seem to take into account the temperature or CO2 already absorbed in fermentation.

I'm brewing a high carb Belgian Dubbel which:
- primary fermentation: 12 days at 78 degrees
- secondary fermenation: 21 days at 46 degrees

Want to carbonate at about 3.8 (average of genuine Dubbels according to Brew Like a Monk).

RECIPE menu: Do I use the temp of primary or secondary?

In either case I get a much lower suggested SUGAR RATE than I do in the CARBONATION screen which will carbonate in the bottle around 75-8- degrees.

Can you point me in the right direction with this? I have brewed 13 batches in the last 4 months and take this pretty seriously. I want to get it right.

Thanks!!!!!  Planning to bottle tomorrow.

P.S. Using 375 ml champagne bottles that can handle the CO2 levels.

The Beer will continue to gas off until the the you add the priming sugars. I always use the drinking temp numbers when I bottle. If you use the fermentation numbers you will be adding too much sugar for the bottles and bottle bombs occur (no mater what bottle), or you will pop the tops off and have a beer fountains. Not Fun!

It's been a while since I read "Brew like a Monk" but I seem to recall him referring to a suggested priming sugar weight.

Cheers
Preston

Back