• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Can you prime a growler?

kw642

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I've been extract brewing for only a couple of months now, and so far I've been using only 341ml, 500ml, and 650ml bottles.  I have a few growlers kicking around in my basement, can I use those?  I've been told that priming a growler will result in a beer explosion.  Also, I assume that using something with a threaded cap will require CO2?

It's definitely not recommended. Growlers aren't really built for the pressure of carbonating. At 70 Degrees F, carbonating a beer to 2.5 Volumes (pretty standard) would generate roughly 30PSI. The large surface and thin walls of MOST growlers aren't made for that.

If you had CO2 and a regulator, they make carbonating caps, these could be used to force carbonate at lower temps, to carbonate to the same volume at 34F would only be 9-10PSI.

TL;DR If its a super sturdy growler, give it a try in a place it can explode without ruining anything! if not, don't.

I've done it with lower carbed drinks like cider.

But I've always had it in a "secondary container" like a 5 gallon bucket with a lid.

Was in a pinch. Dropped and broke 12 bottles in a box once the bottling was underway.

Since someone drug this back up, I'd like to post that I have a conditioning chamber i use. It's a 55g food grade hdpe barrel with a seal-able/removable lid. I can fit a few cases in there. I have a hole in the top where i drop a couple temp probes and run heating elements with. This allows me to condition at a consistent temperature and not ever have to worry about a bottle bomb ruining anything.

If you had growlers you could do something similar to contain any potential explosions.

That being said, i bottle condition VERY infrequently. I would assume if one brewed a lot, they may run out of space in a setup like this, however i think most bottle bombs occur pretty quickly, so as long as you had perhaps 3-4 weeks to condition you'd probably be safe to remove and store in a cool place.

Back