• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith Session Data

Merkur

Apprentice
Reaction score
First of all I would like to say how much I like the upgrades in BeerSmith 3.  The integration of the various converters and the addition of water profiles into the recipe tool, documents the brew and the ingredients in one place which is great. 

Some questions regarding the Session Data to ensure I am using it correctly:
1) Sparge Runoff pH - is this the pH of the initial sparge runnings after vorlauf, the pH of the entire pot of wort collected after draining the mash tun or something else?

2) The 'Post Mash Gravity' field - Is this the gravity of all the wort collected in the pot prior to boiling?  I use two stage batch sparging.  If this is the gravity of all wort collected prior to boil, as I have been assuming, isn't this field the same as the 'Measured Pre-boii gravity' field?

3) I have 10+ sessions of data collected in the session data.  Is it possible to export multiple sessions worth of data in a table so I can compare trends of predicted vs actual gravities and see my efficiencies?

Thanks for a great product,

Paul

Sparge Run off pH is typically used when fly sparging to mark the pH of the last bit of wort from the mash tun for the brewer to note in future batches.  It can also be a flag if the pH is too high that you might be extracting tannins from the grains if your temperature is higher than 170F.  I use it when batch sparing to give me the pH of the initial runnings versus the sparge pH.  This lets me know if I need to acidify (or not) the sparge water for next time.  In short, it has no bearing on the function of the program and is used for brewer process information.  Use it as you feel it best serves you.

Post mash gravity is the gravity of the wort collected from the mash: initial runnings plus sparge runnings.  This number is used to calculate your actual mash/lauter efficiency.  This value differs from the pre-boil gravity ONLY if you add sugars, extracts, or other fermentables between the mash and the boil.

I wish there were an easy way to export all the data from the session tab of several recipes at once.  I use a spreadsheet to track my efficiencies, gravity readings, and volumes for each recipe and I usually enter this right after brew day.  From this sheet I track gravity points to make sure my readings are accurate, calculate actual boil off and grain absorption figures.

Thanks.  This makes a lot of sense.

I'll have to add the ability to generate a table of all the session data to my BeerSmith wish list.  I feel like it should be possible to do outside of BeerSmith using an Excel Macro to parse the session data in the /Beersmith directory files.

All the best,

Paul

Better yet may be to create a session report with all the data you want to look at and see if you can export it as a .csv file.  If you search the archives, there are several topics on the xml tags for beersmith.

Back