• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast package size

The units for yeast is in "packs" which you can define however you want.  Typically, this refers to the homebrewer's typical packet of dry or liquid yeast.  However, when I repitch yeast either from a split starter or washed yeast from a fermenter, I redefine that yeast packet to be 100 ml.  I then define the number of cells per 100 ml based upon my yeast count on that slurry.

Sorry,  still confused, where is the setting for ?packs? located.  I?d like to create a new yeast from a Wyeast Homebrew pack with a cell count of 1200 billion.  But when I do the ?pack? size, when added to the recipe, says [0.12 L].  There seem to be no place to define the ?pack? size,  where does this info come from?  Also it?s different for the different yeast suppliers, some are even 0.0 L!

Jim

When using the yeast starter segment you can add "slurry" as the type of yeast this will provide you with the Liters of required yeast slurry to ferment.

You could also alter the cell count of a "package" of yeast to be the cell count of your typical liter of yeast. A rough number for a liter of slurry is around 1800-2000b if fresh ale yeast from my recollection. If you're buying commercial yeast they should be able to give you a cell count per liter. I could be wrong on that 1800-2000 number, someone please correct me if i'm wrong -

EDIT: I see brewers friend yeast calc says 1L is only 1000b cells. Jamil (via mr malty calc) states a "thick yeast slurry such as one from White Labs" has 4.5b/ml which would equate to 4500b/L so the only real way to know, is by getting the count from your supplier or doing a count yourself to establish how many b/ml you have then scaling that to whatever you wish.

pack size is predetermined in the software.  To your point, it should be a variable accessible to the user to define for their situation.

I alter the number of cells per pack to reflect the cell count per 100 ml of slurry.  Personally, I have not paid attention to the volume added, since I do not use the 'add the yeast starter' to the fermentation volume.

Back