• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Insufficient spage water

shimoda

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi, the calculated sparge water by BS does not include the MLT dead space. Could it be just a configuration mistake?

I use a boil kettle which has a dead space below the screen filter of 1.75 gallon. I have set the value under Recoverable mash dead space. Unfortunately, that volume is not included in the first mash step as I expect. I might not inserting that value at the right place. Could you help me with this one?

Thanks!
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cZo40K8S0-FeHKgLa4ra1Mqbo5nmEIMz
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1u5giTGhHkEJ4no_gixBxhmWYbllIDWoj
open

open

The problem is not with the calculation or the amount of dead space you have in your mash tun.  You have the fermenter top off volume set to 7.09 gallons.  This means that the program subtracts 7.09 gallons from the final volume of 6.5 gallons to give you a negative volume of wort coming from the mash/boil steps of your recipe.  When you are topping off water into the fermenter, it will take that water away from the rest of the process and being just a simulation it does not recognize the negative volume as being anything wrong.  It is just solving the equation with the data provided.

Thanks for the quick feedback! As I said initially I guess I have a configuration issue and you seem to have identified it. Unfortunately, after few tries I have not yet found the right corrective actions.

I changed the equipment profile like this:
- Increase the Mash tun volume from 7 to 8 gallons
- Decrease the batch volume from 6.5 to 5.5 gallons

Now the boil volume is 7 gallons and the post boil volume is 6 gallons. I feel these numbers better fit my boil kettle. I could not find the "fermenter top off volume set to 7.09 gallons" value you are referring to. Maybe you wanted to say the "Post boil vol". In this case, after my changes the value when from 7.09 to 6 gallons.

When I look at the mash in water volume, I still read 1.91. This volume would be good without a false bottom but with my 1.75 gallon bellow the false bottom this is not enough water. I would expect roughly around 3.66 gallons.

Could you precise the corrective actions I am missing? 

Thanks!

Attachments

• BS spargewaterinsufficientEquipmentProf2.PNG
    BS spargewaterinsufficientEquipmentProf2.PNG
    168.5 KB · Views: 314
  • BS spargewaterinsufficient2.PNG
    BS spargewaterinsufficient2.PNG
    182.9 KB · Views: 271
Do us a favor and instead of posting pictures which are just incomplete snapshots of the profiles as applied, export the recipe with the profiles as a .bsmx file and upload it here.  Then I can follow the volumes more appropriately through the recipe.

Thank you to let me know the best way to share information!

Attachments

• B0049.bsmx
    36 KB · Views: 143
  • 8gbayou.bsmx
    1.5 KB · Views: 140
That solved it.  you have your base malt and crystal malt set as 'steeping' grains.  Change these over to 'mash' since you are doing a partial mash with the base malt.

As written, the only grain you have set for the mash is the black patent, so the program is basing the mash water only on that weight of grains.

After changing grains to mash, the water volume is around 4 gallons which is good. I also understand why gravity was much higher when I brew yesterday. Thanks for your feedback!  :)

Back